I just got gidding sitting here thinking of my good friend that is being induced TODAY! What an amazing and exciting time they are about to embark on. I previously did a post on what to pack in your hospital bag, but it got me to thinking about the things you'll want to have on hand for the first week or so after the birth. Hopefully you'll have tons of family and friends around to run out and grab a last minute item, but regardless, it's nice to know you have these things already...
1. Diapers. In the first few weeks of life baby will go through about 10 diapers a day. Plan accordingly.
2. Wipes. See above.
3. Pads. You will have the mother of all periods...and you can't even use tampons.
4. Mylicon or Gripe Water.
5. Breast pads, soothing cream.
6. Nursing bras or tanks.
8. Bulb aspirator. Our hospital provided one of these so you may want to check with them first before buying one.
9. Nail clippers (baby size!) or nail files.
10. Pads. Have I mentioned those yet?
11. Somewhere for baby to sleep. I say somewhere because it's going to look different for everyone: crib, bassinet, pack n play, Amby bed, co-sleeping, etc.
12. Cozy blankets and clothes for both you and baby. It's nice to have these pre-washed and ready to go too.
13. FOOD. I couldn't eat enough when I was nursing. I was FAMISHED. If you have friends that are offering to cook...LET THEM! Stock up your freezer beforehand. Stockpile your fridge. Stockpile your pantry. I. could. not. eat. enough.
These are only the essentials; there will be lots of other things you'll enjoy having on hand :)
Readers: What did you find necessary within your first week post delivery? What was something you thought you just had to have that you never used?