Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Goldfish crackers went swimming...literally.

Every night just before bed I do a quick sweep of the living room to gather any toys and books my kids didn't pick up during clean up time. For the past week or so as I was putting the books away I thought the carpet felt a little damp by the bookshelf but convinced myself that I was being crazy and it must just be cold. 

Then I dropped the cracker in the kitchen.

Interesting correlation huh?

I think the great part of this story is that it was a "goldfish" cracker. Having a neurotic dog that would have sniffed out the cracker and either whined or barked at it until it was retrieved led me to search for the dropped cracker.

I found it.

In a pool of water. Appropriate the goldfish found a pool of water to fall in.

Only problem was, it was under our dishwasher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should most definitely not be a pool of water under the dishwasher. Unfortunately, it was a 'pool' because we had to place the dishwasher below the tile level because it was so big it needed the extra 1/2 in to 1 inch 'hole.' So, as soon as my hubby got home I let him know. He turned off the hot water thinking there must be a leak in the dishwasher and began sopping up some water.

Meanwhile, I was in the living room playing with the boys and put my hand in a spot of water on the carpet...the same spot that I'd previously declared must be cold, not damp. I called my hubby in to show him the spot, but it was no more than the size of the ice cube the kids had been playing Dr with just an hour before. Surely it had melted there.

Nope.

We went on with our evening, made dinner, put the kids to bed, watched a movie...and that's when I began putting the stray books and toys away the kids missed during cleanup like I always do every evening before bed.

Only my foot was SOAKED with water.

I pulled the chair back.

Soaked under the chair.

Yeah...that dishwasher leak? Not so much. Turns out it was the ice dispenser hose...behind the dishwasher. Ugh. It's apparently been leaking for some time.

I am so thankful my husband is as handy as he is. Why you might ask? Because he had to pop off the face of the granite counters he put on to pull the dishwasher out. He had to dissemble the bookcase he built to pull the carpet up. And, he'll be able to put it all back together again. Love him.





In case you're wondering, we have 3 heaters and 4 fans going 24/7 right now to dry it all out. Fortunately, there isn't any mold damage (and "we", being my husband, bleach sprayed just in case) and it should all be salvageable...though we're still trying to figure out the best approach with the carpet and pad.

I am so thankful that I dropped the cracker and felt compelled to look for it. Thank you God. This could have been SO SO much worse.

It can be so hard when things don't go according to OUR plan. Sometimes it can feel lonely, frustrating, scary, awful, alienating. Other times it can be just plain confusing. And other times still His plan is even better than what you or I could ever dream a plan to be. In my plan, this wasn't supposed to happen. But I know there must be a purpose behind it...I may never  know what that purpose is, but what I do know is that I am not alone. It's important to know that it never is YOUR plan or MY plan BUT we don't have to go through it alone. This is something we definitely didn't need right now. But it could have been so much worse in so many different ways.

Readers: Today I am thankful for dropped goldfish crackers. What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a nightmare. Thank GOD for the goldfish cracker looking for some water. Hope you're all dried up now :)

    ReplyDelete